This was a collaboration in the BIG lab to create a bubble machine that produced scented bubbles that could be individually projected on.
Project page is here: http://big.cs.bris.ac.uk/projects/sensabubble
Blowing single bubbles on demand turned out to be quite hard. Here’s my prototype for the mechanism (back when it was called BubbleSense):
- Sue Ann Seah, Diego Martinez Plasencia, Peter Bennett, Abhijit Karnik, Vlad Otrocol, Jarrod Knibbe, Andy Cockburn, and Sriram Subramanian. SensaBubble: A Chrono-Sensory Mid-Air Display of Sight and Smell. Proceedings of ACM CHI 2014 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. Toronto, Canada. 2014. [In press]
- Writeup of the CHI’14 demo on the Communications of the ACM Blog.
- BBC: A new kind of tech bubble
- Reuters: SensaBubble floats novel approach to digital messaging
- Guardian: Get email notifications delivered by scented bubbles
- Phys.org: It’s a bubble, but not as we know it